
You should probably process your own pumpkin. I had a request for pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving dinner and, as is so typical in every other facet of my life, I decided to opt out of the easy choice--Libby's canned pumpkin and the pre-made pie crusts.* I also saw an Alton Brown Pumpkin special on TV and decided that making a pumpkin pie from scratch didn't look all that difficult. Who knows. Maybe the pie itself will be a complete fail (there is a back up dessert), but there's something about canned pumpkin and evaporated milk that just makes me feel like there has to be a healthier way.
Pumpkin Puree
1 (4- to 6-pound) baking pumpkin, rinsed and dried--these are usually available around Thanksgiving at snootier markets or farmer's markets. You want a baking pumpkin or a 'sugar' pie pumpkin. I did 3 small ones so I'd be sure to have enough for the pie.
Kosher salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut pumpkin in half and scoop out all the guts. Sprinkle the flesh with kosher salt and place flesh side down on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Roast until a paring knife can be easily inserted and removed, 30 to 45 minutes.
Let pumpkin cool 1 hour. Remove the flesh and process in a food processor until smooth, 3 to 4 minutes. Store in fridge up to 1 week or freeze for 3 months.
*I have nothing against these refrigerated pie crusts for weeknight quiches. I am no snob.

No comments:
Post a Comment