This combination is very very good. You can either follow this recipe at Orangette, or you can make the banana bread recipe below and add 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1/4 cup roughly chopped crystallized ginger pieces. I think I will do the latter when next I make this. I found the Orangette bread recipe to be a bit crumbly, whereas the James Beard version is like floating on a cloud. A lovely banana-scented cloud.
As with all quick breads, it's important not to overmix. So never make this in a stand mixer.
James Beard's Banana Bread recipe
(adapted from Beard on Bread)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 12 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf tin.
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups mashed, very ripe bananas (about 3)
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup roughly chopped crystallized/candied ginger pieces
Cream butter with a wooden spoon. Add the sugar and honey and beat till creamy and light. Add the eggs, one at a time, then thoroughly mix in the bananas. Sift together the flour, soda, and salt and blend into the mixture. Fold in the chips and ginger.
Pour batter in prepared loaf tin. Bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
The nice thing is that when it bakes, the ginger gets all warm and soft and loses some of its sharpness. It works very nicely as well with the chocolate. Which I would not have immediately guessed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment